AMSTERDAM - THE NETHERLANDS | GlobalCollect, the world’s premier payment service provider, today announced the publication of its report “The Global MMO Games Market: Payments, Intelligence and Trends.” The original research is based on GlobalCollect’s extensive gaming transaction data as well as data from international gaming market research firm Newzoo. Over 170 countries are represented in the data that contains tens of millions of transactions per quarter.
This second report in the GlobalCollect Video Gaming Payments Knowledge Series explores many important aspects of the business of Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games. Key findings include:
- MMO games will account for $14.9 billion, or 21.2%, of global gaming revenues in 2013.
- The Asia Pacific region (APAC), which is now the largest games market in the world, generates 36% of global game revenues, but accounts for an unprecedented 64% of MMO revenues.
- GlobalCollect’s top 16 MMO growth countries (Q1 2012 vs Q1 2013) each belong to the APAC or LATAM region.
- Top growth country Malaysia grew by an unprecedented 121% over the past year, with Thailand growing by 104% and South Korea by 100% (based on GlobalCollect transaction volumes).
- The top 10 countries by average transaction value in video gaming transactions all come from Europe and the Middle East.
- Consoles remain the largest gaming segment worldwide but will shrink by -1% this year. Mobile gaming will see the biggest growth (+35%) followed by the MMO games market which will grow by +14%
- Northern Africa and Central America are emerging as hubs for video game fraud according to statistics produced by GlobalCollect for transactions initiated in Q4 2102 resulting in a chargeback.
“Knowledge is power, and our ability to provide our customers with deep insights into not only their own payments but into industry benchmarks as a whole is how we empower them to grow their businesses quickly around the world,” said Nathan Salisbury, GlobalCollect’s global market director for Video Gaming. “Actionable insights into things like key growth regions, consumer platform preferences and fraud trends help our customers focus their resources in the areas that will give them the greatest revenues.”
Critical to Succes
Peter Warman, CEO of Newzoo: “Our work with GlobalCollect continues to produce indispensable information for gaming companies to help them make sound business decisions in a complex and constantly evolving marketplace. Developing a deep understanding of this data and crafting a payment strategy around the insights it brings is critical to the success of international gaming companies. Entering our third year of co-operation, GlobalCollect and Newzoo continue to provide a rich source of intelligence on which to base smart decisions.”
GlobalCollect processed more than US$14 billion in transactions for international e-commerce companies in 2012, representing some of the world’s most recognized tier-1 brands. The company’s video gaming-related revenue rose by more than 40% in 2012. The free report is available for download here.
GlobalCollect is the most knowledgeable global Payment Service Provider in the world, processing more than US$14 billion in international e-commerce payments per year for more than 500 of the world’s most recognized e-commerce brands in the digital goods and services, travel, retail and video gaming industries, among many others.
With nearly two decades of payments experience, we enable our clients to efficiently and securely accept payments from more than 170 countries in more than 170 currencies, using in excess of 150 local payment methods including all major credit and debit cards, direct debits, bank transfers, real-time bank transfers, eWallets, cash at outlets, prepaid methods, checks, and invoices. This gives our customers unparalleled coverage, especially in high-growth regions like Latin America, where GlobalCollect acquired regional PSP Sub1 in 2012. Our robust and redundant systems guarantee our customers high availability and reliability.
GlobalCollect’s business intelligence tools and more than 400 payments experts help our clients elevate their payment strategies to become a strategic asset to their companies. Headquartered in Amsterdam, GlobalCollect has six locations around the world, and is a Welsh, Carson, Anderson & Stowe company. For more information please visit: http://www.globalcollect.com and follow us on: https://www.linkedin.com/company/globalcollect , https://www.twitter.com/Global_Collect and https://www.facebook.com/globalcollect.
Newzoo is an international market research company focused purely on the games industry. Newzoo provides the most comprehesive independent market data across all game platforms, regions and business models. Our combination of primary consumer research, transactional data and financial analysis gives us a deep understanding of the global games market and ensures we are always ahead of traditional research companies. Newzoo’s clients include King, Valve, Nvidia, Wargaming, EA, Gamehouse, Neowiz, Microsoft, GlobalCollect and Wizards of the Coast.
Christopher Schouten Senior PR & Marketing Manager, Mob. +31 612 911093, E-Mail: email@example.com, Web: www.globalcollect.com